Blog dedicated to Oracle Applications (E-Business Suite) Technology; covers Apps Architecture, Administration and third party bolt-ons to Apps

Friday, June 13, 2008

Windows domain account locks out every few minutes

I have a strange problem with my new laptop which has Windows XP SP3 and Microsoft Services for Unix 3.5 installed. Every few minutes it locks out my windows domain user. Usually I do not shutdown my laptop and take it home in hibernate mode. I work at home and do not shutdown again and bring it back tor work. Whenever I am back in office, in the morning, I find my a/c is locked out. I am not very sure if it has anything to do with Windows XP SP3 and Microsoft Services for Unix, because I had that on my previous laptop too.

I see these errors in the event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1053
Date: 6/13/2008
Time: 4:02:15 PM
Computer: T00560403
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (An internal error occurred. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

I finally figured out what was wrong. I recently changed my domain password. I have a Linux server on which I have configured printing to Windows printers for which I use the domain username and password. When I changed my password, I did not change it in Linux printer configuration. As a result, Linux was trying to connect to the printer every 60 minutes with my old password. Because of this the password kept getting locked out. I corrected the password in my linux server and the problem went away.

No comments: