Blog dedicated to Oracle Applications (E-Business Suite) Technology; covers Apps Architecture, Administration and third party bolt-ons to Apps

Sunday, September 9, 2007

The greeter application appears to be crashing

A Fedora 7 installation recently showed this error when X was started:

"The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one."

Googling for this one came up with few hits. The issue was quite simple, the root / mount had no space and was at 100% usage. I checked for the mount with the highest space usage and found that /tmp had the highest. A prompt rm -rf /tmp/* brought / back to 22% usage. Most probably this was due to the graphical yum updates. As soon as space was made available on / mount, the error disappeared.

18 comments:

Harikrishnan MV said...

yeah thanks it worked, but not inside tmp. Inside slash itself ther was some blank files with core**** numbers it occupied around 4GB when I cleared it my X strated fine. Thanks

typedef uchar_t pluto; said...

Thanks very much.. Disk space seems to be my problem as well.

Vikram Das said...

Glad to know that my post helped in solving your problems

- Vikram

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vikram... This works in fedora 8 too.. you saved me from reformating my system again..

Vikram Das said...

Vishwas,

That is good to hear. I am glad to know that this post helped so many people.

- Vikram

Anonymous said...

This helped me in Fedora Core 8. The first thing I did was delete my xorg.conf file - which was a bad move.

I should really download less movies :)

Marie-Pierre Sylvestre said...

I am so glad to have seen your blog before I re-installed Fedora! I deleted a few problematic files and everything went back to normal!

MP

Umang said...

Hey Thanks, it helped me too

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks a lot,this helped me too

Praveena Kumara said...

hey it worked ....
thanks a lot....

Praveena Kumara said...

hey it worked!
thanks a lot...

You saved me from formating ...

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks a lot...
it worked !

Anonymous said...

HEY VIKRAM,
CAN YOU SAY HOW TO DELETE TEMPORARY FILES IN FEDORA, AS WE DO IN WINDOWS
TO RUN %TEMP% IN COMMAND PROMPT AND DELETE ALL THE FILES. ANY IDEA OF HOW TO DO THIS?
I DON'T KNOW IT ACTUALLY.

THANKS

DEBKUMAR GHOSAL

Vikram Das said...

Hi Debkumar,

You can do rm -rf /tmp/*

Here's a post from another blog to help you schedule it at shutdown: http://tech.karbassi.com/2007/01/14/remove-temp-folder-contents-on-shutdown/

- Vikram

t1minator said...

Dude, your the best! thanks.

Celestial Citizen said...

Thanks a lot helped me as well!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Vikram,

Thank you for sharing this solution. It helped me recover my system and saved me many hours of frustration!

Thank you once again.

Hugh

睛天 said...

Thanks, it works. But I did something wrong use "rm -rf /tmp" not "rm -rf /tmp/*", then I "mkdir /tmp", and reboot, the crash message still appears, then i found that I should use "chmod 1777 /tmp", finally, it works.