Blog dedicated to Oracle Applications (E-Business Suite) Technology; covers Apps Architecture, Administration and third party bolt-ons to Apps

Monday, August 20, 2007

Easter Egg in Oracle 7.3

Software Easter eggs are messages, graphics, sound effects, or an unusual change in program behavior that mainly occur in a software program in response to some undocumented set of commands, mouse clicks, keystrokes or other stimuli intended as a joke or to display program credits. They are often located in the "About" box of a software. An early use of the term Easter egg was to describe a message hidden in the object code of a program as a joke, intended to be found by persons disassembling or browsing the code.

I found an interesting post on AMIS technology blog by Marco Gralike. I am reproducing it partially here:

Last year our firm (AMIS) celebrated its 15th anniversary. This year Oracle celebrates its 30th year of its existence. In that reflective light, I remembered a nice "Easter egg" regarding the database software. A long time ago, I guess somewhere in 1997, 1998, I was working as a DBA consultant for a big Dutch banking cooperation. Preparing for the upcoming year 2000 in those days we tested a lot of applications and databases regarding the year 2000 problems (among others date formats regarding: YY, YYYY, RRRR…) etc.

An UNIX (AIX) system administrator of this banking cooperation accidentally did a reset to the default date/time in those days of an AIX (version 3.2?) machine (RS/6000) to 01-01-1970. I am not absolutely sure, but I think it was this date. He did this while I was starting an Oracle database (Oracle V. 7.3.x) and to my surprise I got an Oracle error from the database that said something in the lines of…"Sorry, but this date / time setting can’t be correct, because the Oracle Company didn’t exist in those days".

The other day I tested some OS / Oracle Database combinations, in the light of the anniversaries and for some fun, regarding this phenomena to see if I could reproduce the message.

I am a little bit disappointed now, because I couldn’t.

Full article on: http://technology.amis.nl/blog/?p=1880

For more easter eggs in software refer to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Easter_Egg

No comments: